Indigenous Resource Partnerships
February 11 - 12, 2020 · Vancouver, British Columbia
Day One Program Agenda: Tuesday, February 11, 2020
8:30 - 9:00 Registration and Continental Breakfast
9:00 - 9:10
Welcome and Opening Remarks from the Chair
9:10 - 10:10
A Bid for Success: The Procurement Process
- Learn about the procurement process and how to make it more effective for your organization
- Assessing your organization’s needs and wants in order to develop effective procurement strategies
- Leveraging the strength of Aboriginal business in procurement
10:10 - 11:10
The New Impact Assessment: What You Need to Know
Rodney Northey, Partner, Gowling WLG
- What you need to know about the new Impact Assessment Act
- What do you need to know for your Nation and business?
- Measuring the economic benefits and social impacts
11:10 - 11:30 Networking Break
11:30 - 12:30
Building Financial Capacity and Good Governance
Suzanne Trottier, Director of Capacity Development and Intervention, First Nations Financial Management Board
- Learn strategies to build financial management capacity
- The importance of developing a unique and effective financial management system
- Building good governance and finance practices to support greater partnerships
12:30 - 1:30 Luncheon Break
1:30 - 2:20
Taking Ownership: The Importance of Project Equity
Niilo Edwards, Executive Director, First Nations Major Projects Coalition
- Why is taking equity in major resource projects so important?
- How to create partnerships with equity ownership
- What are the benefits and challenges of having equity in major projects?
2:20 - 3:10
The Duty to Consult as a Commitment
Drew Mildon, Partner, Woodward & Company
- What are the legal obligations of the duty to consult?
- How does the new legislation impact the duty to consult and your project(s) impact?
- Knowing when your Nation has been sufficiently consulted; what are your legal obligations?
3:10 - 3:30 Networking Break
3:30 - 4:30
The Development Corporation: Corporate Capacity Building
Paul Gruner, President & CEO, Det’on Cho Development Corporation
- Building the foundation of your development corporation
- What does growth look like from start-up to the long game
- Planning for success
- Identifying and investing in people for long-term prosperity, one Member at a time
4:30 End of Day One