Indigenous Housing Solutions
The most up-to-date solutions for On-Reserve housing from finance options, to infrastructure, to asset management.
November 5 - 6, 2019 · Gatineau, Quebec
Day Two Program Agenda: Wednesday, November 6, 2019
8:00 - 9:00 Registration and Continental Breakfast
9:00 - 9:10
Opening Remarks from the Chair
Dena Zavier BA CPHR, Founder, Summit Vision Communication: HR Consultant for several Yukon First Nations
9:10 - 10:00
3D Printed DomeHomes as an Indigenous Housing Solution that Lowers Construction Costs and Increases Disaster Resistance for Sustainable Communities
Ed Champion, Former Chief of Nacho Nyak Dun First Nation Government, Yukon Territories
- Traditional culture and designs are integrated with the most up-to-date exponential technologies to create 3D printed DomeHomes.
- Patented technology to reduce construction costs and waiting time to move in.
- Disaster resistant to hurricanes, earthquakes, and wildfires which lower asset management costs.
- Quality 3D printed DomeHomes in Smart Villages designed to be safe, sustainable and thriving communities that integrate wellness, education, and job preparedness.
- Off-reserve DomeHomes can be printed as a source of revenue and funding for more on-reserve homes
10:00 - 10:15 Networking Break
10:15 - 11:15
Building Housing that Last Longer than Seven Generations
Colin Doylend, Director, Corporate Affairs, NEXII Building Solutions Inc.
We stand at the crossroads of forever and too late. A world where quality takes too long. Compassion costs too much. And past routines can no longer provide. We at Nexii are dedicated to radically transforming building in ways
that will improve how we all live, and sustain our communities and planet.
- A world where our kids, grandkids and future generations can live, love, share and flourish.
- To create the ultimate home for humanity. We seek out, develop and share innovative building solutions that transform living standards for all communities while ensuring the enduring health of our Earth.
- We will share with your our try of how NEXII is the world’s first whole building solution - using proven technology, our team is committed to permanently transforming the construction and retrofitting of structures across the world.
11:15 - 12:15
Acquiring External Aid Partnerships
Ian Cullis, Director of Asset Management, BC Non-Profit Housing Association
- Getting your community partnership-ready
- Identifying your options: organizations new and old
- Qualifying for external aid
- Band council resources and responsibilities
- What programs like Habitat for Humanity offer
12:15 - 1:15 Luncheon
1:15 - 2:15
National Housing Strategy
Vince Kylne, National Key Account Manager, Canada Mortgage Housing Solutions
- Background on the National Housing Strategy
- Overview of the Strategy
- Information on Initiatives
- How to apply
2:15 - 3:15
Family Reunification Program
Marc Boychuk, Metis Housing Tenant Relations Officer, Alberta Health Advisory
The Family Reunification Program (FRP) is dedicated to reuniting Aboriginal mothers, fathers and their children by providing housing placements for up to three years. The program's mandate is to assist in reuniting children in
care with their families in a safe and secure environment. MCHC is providing the program in cooperation and agreement with Government of Alberta Ministry of Human Services. The program participates in the Crime Free Multi Housing Program
partnership run by the Edmonton Police Service.
The FRP provides families with a wide range of support services including:
- 24-hour support to families as required
- Parenting skills development
- Employment and educational planning
- A mentorship program to build self-esteem, confidence, and role models for children and youth
3:15 - 3:30 Networking Break
3:30 - 4:30
New Financial Paradigms in First Nation Housing Breaking Free of Colonial Dependence
Dainius Zaldokas, owner, Tamarack Construction Services
- Learn about 3 financial housing models that minimize the need for external government funding
- Taking control of First Nation housing development
- Employing a long-term vision towards independence
- Encouraging homeownership on settlement lands
- The value of creative solutions
4:30 Closing Remarks from Chair & End of Conference